M.Sc. Nursing degree course is a post graduate course in Nursing. This course can be pursued after completing B.Sc. Nursing from a recognized university in India. M.Sc. Nursing post graduate course is of two years.
Specialization in Nursing include Community Health Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Pediatric Nursing or Child Care Nursing, Obstetrics & Gynecological Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Cardiology/ CTVS nursing, Neuroscience nursing, Oncology nursing, Nephrology nursing, Critical care nursing.
After completing M.Sc. Nursing, placement opportunities are very good as the demand for nurses is on the rise in
- hospitals, super-speciality units
- healthcare centres,
- clinics, private home nurses,
- old age homes,
- orphanages etc.
- armed forces
- academic and research institutes (Teaching)
There is increasing need for well trained nurses and caregivers in India and abroad. Indian nurses are always in high demand in other countries because they are well trained, diligent, loving and empathetic.
What is the duration of M.Sc. nursing?
The duration of MSc Nursing program is two years. Examinations are held yearly. The teaching is incorporated with hands on clinical experience in respective specialties. The students are required to submit a dissertation as a partial fulfilment of the program.
M.Sc. Nursing admission 2020
The average tuition feefor the entire course ranges between INR 1.30 Lakhs INR to INR 2.80 Lakhs. The course is of 2 years and depending upon the university or college admission is, in general, based on
- Entrance exam (conducted separately by each university)
- Academic record
e.g., Eligibility for M.Sc. Nursing in AIIMS is
- The candidate must obtain atleast 60 percent marks in B.Sc. nursing (General/ OBC).
- The candidate must obtain atleast 50 percent marks in B.Sc. nursing (SC/ ST candidates).
- Registered as Nurse, RM, RN (Registered Midwife, Registered Nurse) with any State Nursing Council.
Some of the M.Sc. Nursing entrance exam and M.Sc. Nursing colleges are:
|S. No.||Entrance exam||University|
|1.||AIIMS-ET||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi|
|2.||MU-OET||Manipal University, Kartnataka|
|3.||AFMC||Armed forces Medical college, Pune|
|4.||Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Kolkata|
|5.||Symbiosis international University, Pune|
|6.||Indian Nursing Council, New Delhi|
|7.||T.D. Medical College, Kerela|
|8.||Government Medical College, Kozhikode|
|9.||Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore|
|10.||Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune|
|11.||Himachal Pradesh University|
|12.||Tata Memorial Centre, mumbai|
|13.||Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College and Hospital, [NRSMCAH] Kolkata|
|14.||Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma University of Health Sciences, [PBDSUHS] Rohtak|
|15.||ITM University, [ITMU] Gwalior|
|16.||Dayananda Sagar University, [DSU] Bangalore|
|17.||Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, [BMCARI] Bangalore|
|18.||KLE University, [KLEU] Belgaum|
|19.||Madras Medical College, [MMC] Chennai|
|20.||KIIT University, Bhubaneswar|
What is the eligibility for MSc nursing?
Minimum eligibility criteria for M.Sc. Nursing is qualifying B.Sc. Nursing under graduation from any recognized university. The duration of M.Sc. in Nursing is mostly of two academic years but it varies from institute to institute.
1. Candidates should complete their B.Sc. degree under any registered University in respective subject in Science stream.
2. The marks of admission for this course vary from University to University. In various colleges and Universities, there is an entrance exam for admission of courses.
M.Sc. Nursing Fee
The fee structure in India varies from university to university. In government colleges, the fee range is INR 5,000 to INR 3.5 lakhs. In private colleges, the fee range is INR 10,000 to INR 4.0 lakhs.
M.Sc. Nursing Syllabus
The M.Sc. Nursing syllabus is as follows:
|S. No.||Year I||Year II|
|1.||Advanced Clinical Nursing including Pathophysiology (Theory and Practical)||Nursing Specialties|
|2.||Nursing Education (Theory and Practical)||Medical-Surgical Nursing (Theory and Practical) Obstetrical, Gynecological Nursing, and Midwifery (Theory and Practical)|
|3.||Social Psychology||Community Health Nursing (Theory and Practical)|
|4.||Nursing Research and Statistics||Nursing Management (Theory and Practical)|
|5.||Project work, thesis, Dissertation (Theory and Practical)|
Which subject is best for M.Sc. Nursing?
M.S. Nursing degree course is of two years and the year wise subjects as follow:
|S.No||Year I||Year II|
|1.||Advanced Nursing & Allied Subjects||Nursing Management|
|2.||Nursing Education||Clinical Nursing II|
|3.||Research & Statistics||Practical (Clinical Nursing, Thesis viva, Nursing education & Management)|
|4.||Clinical Nursing I|
M.Sc. Nursing scope 2020
What can I do after M.Sc. Nursing?
After M.Sc. Nursing, there are more chances of getting jobs with good starting salary package of INR 3.5 Lakhs. The salary package will increase with good working experience.
The candidate can either choose to work in multi-speciality hospitals, private or government healthcare units, nursing homes, old-age homes, and armed forces or, they can continue into academia and research. Students can also opt for post-graduate diploma in Hospital and Health Management, Forensic Nursing etc.
In India, a nurse with a Postgraduate degree can work as a nursing instructor, staff nurse, nurse assistant, or nursing supervisor. Starting salary package of INR 3.5 Lakhs.
Abroad, a nurse with good clinical experience can earn upto INR 3.0 Lakhs – INR 4.0 Lakhs per month.
Education sector opportunities:
Teaching is a highly respected profession and if you have good experience in teaching them you can rise in rank and good salary package of INR 5 lakhs – INR 7 lakhs in India.
|S. No.||Job||Minimum eligibility|
|1.||Lecturer||M.Sc. Nursing 3 years teaching experience after M.Sc. Nursing|
|2.||Reader/ Associate Professor||M.Sc. Nursing 10 years teaching experience after M.Sc. Nursing|
|3.||Professor/ Vice Principal||M.Sc. Nursing 10 years teaching experience after M.Sc. Nursing 3 years|
|4.||Professor/ Principal||M.Sc. Nursing 14 years teaching experience after M.Sc. Nursing 3 years|
What is the salary of M.Sc. Nursing in India?
Immediately after M.Sc. Nursing, nurses can earn INR 40,000 per month and depending upon experience can earn upto INR 70,000 per month in India. If they go abroad for job, nurses can earn a good package of INR 3 lakhs to INR 4 lakhs per month, provided they have good clinical experience.
Is M.Sc. Nursing available in Ignou?
IGNOU has degree course in B.Sc. post basic Nursing (Check B.Sc. Nursing).
There is no M.Sc. Nursing from IGNOU, however, there are two certificate courses and one diploma course.
1. Certificate programme in Ayush Nursing:
- launched in collaboration with the Department of Ayush, Government of India, for Auxiliary Nurse Midwives (ANM)
- programme is of minimum six months duration and maximum two years.
- In-service ANM’s are eligible to apply for the course for a nominal fee of Rs.1500.
2. Certificate programme in Adolescent Health and Counselling:
- launched in collaboration with IGNOU’s Educational Development of North Eastern Region (EDNERU)
- six months programme
- develop skills in handling challenges related to needs and concern of adolescent, physical, cognitive, emotional and psychological changes in adolescent.
3. Diploma programme in Critical Care Nursing:
- enable nursing professionals to develop and apply advanced nursing care knowledge and skills.
- programme is of minimum one year duration and can be completed in maximum three years.
- In-service registered nursing professionals at all levels or B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Nursing are eligible to apply for this programme.